Monday, September 20, 2010

Veggie Burger Attempt #1

Today I tried making veggie burgers for the first time. Actually making them wasn't too difficult, but I'm not sure I'll make them again. Here's the recipe I used, along with the "good" and the "bad."

Recipe from Food.com (originally from Food Network).

Ingredients
3 tablespoons olive oil
3/4 cup fresh corn kernels
6 mushrooms, finely chopped
2 scallions, finely chopped
1/2 red bell peppers, finely chopped
1 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 teaspoon cumin
1 dash cayenne pepper
1/2 cup chopped fresh spinach
1 carrots, peeled and grated
1 small potatoes, peeled and grated
1 egg whites
salt and pepper
1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs

Directions
1. In a large pan heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium high heat.
2. Stir in corn, mushrooms, scallions, and bell pepper. Cook for 3-4 minutes.
3. Add garlic, cumin and cayenne and cook for 30 seconds. Remove from heat and stir in spinach.
4. Add carrot and potato and stir to combine. Add egg white and season with salt and pepper.
5. Stir in enough bread crumbs so that the mixture holds together.
6. Shape mixture into 6 disks and place on a plate. Chill for 1 hour.
7. Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in non-stick skillet and cook veggie burgers until golden on each side.

The Good
-Lots of veggies (rather than grains/breadcrumbs, which seem to be the main ingredients in many veggie burgers)
-Readily available ingredients
-Easy prep (no food processor required)

The Bad
-Squishy in the middle, not very firm or burger-like once you start eating it
-Not much flavor despite the spices (I think the corn was the most prominent flavor)
-Somewhat difficult to keep in one piece while cooking (I cooked three patties and was able to keep two of them in-tact, after partially destroying one)

Overall, I don't think this was a bad recipe, but I'll keep searching for the perfect veggie burger. I'm thinking some lentils or black beans might give it more substance and prevent it from being so squishy. Once I get a functioning food processor I might also try using that to chop the veggies more finely.

No comments:

Post a Comment